The European WEEE directive defines 10 categories of electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) which fall within the scope of the directive. In principle, all equipment that is dependent on electric current or electromagnetic fields in order to work properly, falls within the scope. In short this means all appliances with a plug or batteries. The size of the equipment is not a criterion for exclusion: refrigerators as well as USB flash drives, laboratory equipment as well as electronic thermometers fall under the scope of the directive.
The WEEE-categories are:
- Large household appliances such as a washing machines, dryers, spin dryers, and refrigerators;
- Small household appliances, such as a blow dryers, curling irons, toasters, and coffee makers;
- IT and telecommunications equipment, such as a mobile phones, laptops, tablets, computers, and USB flash drives;
- Consumer equipment and photovoltaic panels, such as televisions, radios, headsets, and solar panels;
- Lighting equipment, such as lamps and professional fixtures;
- Electrical and electronical tools, such as drills, sanders, and electric screwdrivers
- Toys, leisure and sports equipment, such as rowing machines, home trainers, remote controlled cars, and Furbies;
- Medical devices, such as ear thermometers and blood pressure monitors;
- Monitoring and control instruments, such as multimeters, thermostats, and smoke detectors
- Automatic dispensers, such as vending machines and currency exchange machines.
Complying with the Directive
Producers and importers of electrical equipment must comply with the national legislations based on the WEEE Directive of the European Union. As a producer or importer of electrical and / or electronic devices in the Netherlands you are legally required to register in the national producer register and to arrange for the collection, recycling and environmentally sound disposal of e-waste. This way, reduce electronic waste, and a controlled way of dealing with hazardous substances helps us protect the public health and the environment. Weee Netherlands is a government-approved system that takes over these obligations from you. By participating in our system you will comply with all obligations imposed by the Dutch legislation in this area. Our focus is on creating a social win-win situation. Through our efficient organization we even offer the most competitive rates.